Minjerribah SeaLink Day Passes
EXPLORE, DISCOVER, CREATE AND CAPTURE BRISBANE’S ENCHANTING MINJERRIBAH WITH EIGHT BRAND NEW CULTURAL AND ECO-TOURISM EXPERIENCES
Visitors are invited to meet the locals, unearth fascinating stories and immerse themselves in authentic arts, cultural and eco-tourism experiences as Brisbane Economic Development Agency (BEDA) in partnership with Queensland Government and Redland City Council launches eight new Minjerribah SeaLink Day Passes.
The curated Minjerribah SeaLink Day Pass experiences are designed to highlight the cultural, natural and historic appeal of Minjerribah / North Stradbroke Island in the heart of Quandamooka country, just a 25-minute ferry trip from Cleveland on Brisbane’s Bayside.
Minjerribah is one of the world’s largest sand islands situated in the pristine waters of Moreton Bay and easily accessible by SeaLink passenger or vehicular ferry for day-trippers and longer stays.
From art galleries, sunrise yoga and headland scouting to tasting native bush food, immersive maker workshops and adventure trails for kids, Minjerribah is brimming with unique experiences.
The Minjerribah SeaLink Day Passes include Island Arts & Heritage, Children’s Island Adventure, Minjerribah Cultural Tour, Bush Foods Gathering, Island Photography Walk, Island Social Golf, Island Oasis Yoga & Breakfast and Island Jewellery Making experiences, all including return SeaLink ferry tickets.
Each Day Pass experience will be led by a welcoming and knowledgeable island host, such as First Nations artist Delvene Cockatoo-Collins for the immersive Children’s Island Adventure, Yura Tours guide Elisha Kissick on the three-hour Minjerribah Cultural Experience driving tour and The Quandamooka Chef Kieron Anderson, who shares his connection to the island by serving dishes that showcase native ingredients in the Bush Foods Luncheon tasting.
Local Minjerribah artist Paula Boo shares her basketry techniques in the Island Jewellery Making experience while landscape photographer Julie Sisco highlights the island’s natural attributes on an educational Photography Walk.
Visitors can also get active with Island Oasis Yoga & Breakfast and Island Social Golf activities or delve into Island Arts and Heritage with other local creatives at some of Minjerribah’s most iconic galleries and maker spaces.
Delivered by Brisbane Economic Development Agency in partnership with the Queensland Government and Redland City Council, the tourism project is designed to promote Minjerribah as a leading cultural and eco-tourism destination to increase day trips, overnight stays and repeat visitation.
More than 20 Minjerribah tourism operators and local businesses, along with SeaLink and the Redland City Council tourism team, helped to shape and create the one-of-a-kind island experiences.
Brisbane Economic Development Agency Chief Executive Officer Anthony Ryan said the benefits of the new day pass experiences are twofold.
“From enticing first-time and returning visitors to explore Minjerribah in new and meaningful ways, to connecting local products with new customers, the day passes are helping to create sustainable growth for the island’s tourism sector," he said.
“Minjerribah is a truly unique and diverse destination as the world’s second-largest sand island, with its natural beauty and rich ancient Indigenous history major drawcards for visitors looking to experience Brisbane beyond the city.
“As the Regional Tourism Organisation for the Brisbane Region, we are thrilled to partner with the Queensland Government to deliver these first-ever experiences alongside Minjerribah tourism operators, SeaLink and Redland City Council.”
The Minjerribah SeaLink Day Pass experiences are available from Thursday 12 May to Sunday 31 July 2022 and include SeaLink passenger ferry return transfers from Cleveland to Dunwich.
For more information and to book your Minjerribah SeaLink Day Pass experiences, visit sealinkseq.com.au/minjerribah-day-passMinjerribah SeaLink Day Passes include:
Island Arts & Heritage Day Pass
Availability: Wednesdays to Sundays, 11 May – 31 July 2022
Meet talented local creatives and hear fascinating stories. Visit Island Art Galleries and the North Stradbroke Island Museum on Minjerribah. Check out the Museum shop and its range of incredible books before enjoying lunch at The Island Barn Cafe. Take a beach stroll and relax into the island sunset before taking your passenger ferry to return to the mainland.
Day Pass includes:
- SeaLink passenger ferry transfers to/from the Island (Cleveland to Dunwich return) • Entry fee to Museum
- Bookmark & Dilly Bag Gift from Delvene Cockatoo-Collins Design Studio
- Lunch (incl. beverage) of up to $20 at The Barn Cafe
- No minimum or maximum booking numbers apply
Children’s Island Adventure Day Pass
Availability: Wednesdays to Sundays, 11 May – 31 July 2022
Families can enjoy an incredible day of fun reconnecting within a blissful island paradise. Children can participate in a series of immersive activities and have their imaginations captivated by island storytellers.
- Start with a visit to the Delvene Cockatoo-Collins Studio where children will make a little mermaid or a whale.
- Head across the road to the North Stradbroke Island Museum on Minjerribah to receive a special map featuring QR codes linked to clues for the Goompi Family Quest. • Meet and follow Laddie, a young boy from Dunwich whose father was the Dunwich Benevolent Asylum’s postmaster since 1894. Explore the Museum exhibits, tackle some tasks and search through old photographs, charts and exhibits to find connections to Laddie’s life on the island.
Minjerribah Cultural Experience hosted by Yura Tours
Availability: every Tuesday & second Sunday + selected Fridays (13 and 27 May, 10 June and 24 June, 8 and 22 July), 10 May – 31 July 2022
Three-hour driving tour with pick-up/drop-off from SeaLink Ferry by Quandamooka guide • Visit Bummiera (Brown Lake) to experience a traditional Welcome to Country and take in the beautiful surroundings connecting you to Country.
- Walk in ancestor footsteps, stopping in at Moongalaba / Terra Bulla (Old Mission Site) and Capemba (Myora Springs).
- Enjoy a guided cultural tour at the famous Mulumba (Point Lookout headland), listening to creation stories, taking in the breathtaking views and learning about the different flora of the island and its Aboriginal uses.
- Travel to Gumpi (Dunwich) and browse the Gumpi art galleries, including Delvene Cockatoo Collins Studio, where you can find a piece of Minjerribah to take home.
Bushfoods Luncheon Day Pass
Availability: Sat 25 June & Sat 9 July. Set time: 12.30pm – 2pm
Culture and theatre combine with flavour and flair.
- Follow First Nation caretaker and classically trained chef Kieron Anderson as he unwinds ancient practices and shares sacred knowledge around food, art and Aboriginal culture. ‘The Quandamooka Chef’ shares his deep connection and understanding of First Nations culture, customs and the oldest food on the Earth.
- Enjoy a Cooking Demonstration and Cultural Storytelling (1.5 hours), tasting local bush foods and feast on grazing plates full of unique local island delights.
- Luncheon venue: North Stradbroke Island Museum on Minjerribah
Island Social Golf Day Pass
Availability: Saturdays and Sundays – 2 sessions per day (9am – 1pm and 12pm – 4pm), 14 May – 31 July 2022
The North Stradbroke Island 9-Hole Golf Course shares a boundary with Heritage-listed Brown Lake. The course offers exquisite views of the Lake and Moreton Bay from Redland Bay to Brisbane and north to the Glasshouse Mountains and is shared with local fauna, including kangaroos, koalas and birdlife.
Island Social Golf Day Passes include the following for groups of four players: • Green fees and equipment hire
- Lunch/beverage meal deal
- Transport services to/from and on the island
Island Oasis Yoga & Breakfast Day Pass
Availability: Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday 8am –11am, 13 May – 31 July 2022 • Venue: Oasis on Straddie
- Start your experience at 8am with a welcome smoothie followed by a moderate yoga infusion experience guided by a qualified yoga instructor.
- Enjoy a hand-crafted healthy continental breakfast of fresh fruits, gluten-free savoury tarts, island juice and more.
- From 10am, you are free to visit the nearby Home Beach for a refreshing swim before planning the rest of your day’s island activity.
Island Photography Walk Day Pass
Availability: Wednesdays and Fridays, 10.30am – 12.30pm, 11 May – 31 July 2022 • Join a two-hour Island Photography Walk around Minjerribah’s iconic North Gorge with local landscape photographer, Julie Sisco.
- Suitable for all types of cameras including phones, you’ll learn how to further develop your eye for photography.
- Julie shares insights on composition and the use of elements within the frame. • Participants will also receive support material and an invitation to join a private Facebook group to share images from the day.
Island Jewellery Making Day Pass
Availability: Wednesdays and Thursdays – 2 sessions per day (10am – 12pm and 1pm – 3pm), 11 May – 31 July 2022
- Venue: Oasis on Straddie
- Join local Minjerribah artist Paula Boo as she guides you through designing your very own woven earrings or pendant.